This will be the final ‘build-post’ for the Hawaii Uke project. There will be one more post after this one, but since all the work is now done, that last post will be the wrap-up and demo video. All that’s left in the build is to install the new bridge, and then shape and install
Category Archives: Rescue Instruments
It’s time to put some frets on this fret board! Before I went too far down the rabbit hole, I wanted to be sure that all my fret slots were deep enough to accommodate the fret wire I bought for this project. But I didn’t want to do that by pushing the barbed tangs of
We last left the Hawaii Uke with the fretboard bindings installed, but still not flush with the neck at the bottom. Blending the bottom edge in with the wavy profile of the neck was a delicate process of carving the lower edge of the bindings with files and chisels until the transition from neck to
Back to the fretboard! When I started to get serious about shaping the fretboard down to the profile of the neck, I took a closer look than I had previously at what I’m working with, and realized something that I probably should have paid more attention to from the outset. The neck is not straight.
When last we left off, I had finished cutting the fret slots, and started on the fret board end detail. So, of course, next up is the finishing of the end detail. I made quick work of that on the spindle sander. Next up: getting the old bridge off the body of the instrument.